All from the door of the Villa Damee
1. Local Pakerisan River Temple Tour – on the doorstep of Villa Damee, a short walk through the village brings you to the sacred Pakerisan river – a beautiful, peaceful place. Kadek will escort you to The Pakerisan River, a World Heritage Listed river and is the source of holy water which originates at Tirta Empul temple from a spring.
2. Village Tour including coffee at local house – as you are staying in the heart of Pejeng, one of the most ancient kingdoms of Bali enjoy this opportunity for an escorted tour of the local Petemon Village. You will get to witness how the Balinese live and the significance of the way their homes are organized to please the Gods and bring good luck to the home. You will have the opportunity to learn about Bali culture and ask Wayan, our manager who lives locally in the village, any questions you may have as you wander around the village. This is very authentic and something most visitors to Bali do not experience. You will be offered coffee and its a great opportunity to meet the local Balinese.
3. Village Ceremony – If you have the opportunity to attend at least one celebration during your stay in Bali, you will find this cultural experience very special. This is not a tourist staged event, but by invitation. Just express your interest to Wayan, and if your timing allows for it, you will have the opportunity to join in one of the local Hindu Balinese rituals. Glimpsing into the celebration of Balinese life will be a very unique experience. Many significant rites, festivals, rituals and ceremonies, take place around Pejeng Village and by you joining, as an honoured guest; you are in turn contributing to the local Banjar and village.
4. Odalan Temple Ceremony -An elaborate and colourful ceremony (which goes for 4-6 days) held around the full moon and celebrated every 210 days at various local temples. These are special events to witness as the temples are decorated in beautiful colours with amazing attention to detail. An enormous effort goes into these special ceremonies. At night there is dancing and comedy and if you are lucky a trance ceremony may take place. It is a wonderful family time. Try your hand at making an offering. Some of the larger temples in the area attract thousands of people and it is an unforgettable sight to see hundreds of woman with large offerings balanced on their heads, as they make their way to the temple.
For photographers it is a feast! Stay 2 hours or longer. You will be escorted by one of our staff.
5. Meditation at the Temple – with Nyoman. Nyoman will accompany you to the local temple and together, you can enjoy this spiritual experience and sit in meditation, quietly reflecting in an ancient setting alongside a Banyan tree. Experience the pure, divine energy of being in a very ancient place and feeling very comfortable sharing this experience with a local Balinese spiritual, enlightened person, your new meditation friend, Nyoman.
6. Making Coconut oil – with Wayan and Grandma in the village. Have some family fun learning to make your own coconut oil and get to meet Grandma. She is absolutely delightful and her other job is feeding the 2 cows (involves walking to a special field to get special grass) and feeding the 3 pigs. A very authentic local experience. Donation of Rp 100,000 is appreciated.
7. Photo Tour – Half-day photography tour with professional photographer. Book through www.davidmetcalfphotography.com. You will be taken to a beautiful sunrise spot (non-touristy) and on to some very special places including a temple and local market. Full Day tours available with opportunity to attend a local ceremony. Depart Villa 5 am. Return to villa 10.30 am. Workshop includes photography tips, camera settings tips, composure and tips on how to get that award winning shot. Ideal for beginners as you have one-on-one tuition. All levels catered for- beginner to advanced.
Price:USD$120.00 per person. Minimum 2 people. Half day tour.
Full Day USD$200. Minimum 2 people. Contact Dave on 0811 1331255 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Cycle hire – Independent cycling, go as you please – hire cost USD$5 (Rp 50,000) per day per bicycle or take an escorted bicycle tour – 2 hrs with an eco-firendly bike tour company. There are 2 free bicycles at the villa for your use.
* * * * * *
Ever wanted to teach English in Bali?
TEACHING ENGLISH: Villa Damee supports the Local Petemon Primary School Volunteer English Teaching Program assistin the Balinese English teacher on Monday. The school is a 5 mins walk from the villa. Your help is greatly appreciated. No teacher experience needed. Native English speaker and conversational English only. Have fun, sing songs and play games in English – Simon says, head-shoulders-knees-and-toes game, etc.